Monday, July 30, 2018

Reflective practice/Week 17


Using Jay and Johnson (2002) reflective model, I will throw a light on my current reflective practice.




Reflection is not a new concept for me. Having worked in teaching for so many years, I am aware of the importance of doing reflections and have been practising it to inform the effectiveness of my teaching practice.
During my teaching journey so far, I have had different opportunities for reflecting that has helped me to improve my reflective practice. Apart from using the daily classroom experiences, observations, assessment data and anecdotal notes, lately I have also been videoing my reading and writing lessons and analysing it using the guiding question. As a reflective practitioner, I also discuss the lessons with my colleagues to seek their support to draw up an action plan. Also providing my students with opportunities where they reflect on their learning at the end of each day by answering questions ‘what they learnt’ and ‘what they need to do to improve’ helps me to assess their learning and understanding of the concept.
But as I had never used any framework to evaluate my reflections, I am unsure about how effective is my reflective practice?
As Larrivee (2000) argues “Unless teachers develop the practice of critical reflection, they stay trapped in unexamined judgements, interpretations, assumptions and expectations.”

When looking at Zeichner and Liston’s Five Levels of Reflection (cited in Finlay, 2008, p.4):
·      Rapid
·      Repair
·      Review
·      Research
·      Retheorizing and reformulating

I find that I usually employ first three levels while reflecting. I believe that reflection should be ongoing and continuous. I reflect while teaching on something that is not working which leads me to change my approach on the spot. I am sometimes taking notes of what was not successful and then reviewing it by either thinking or taking support from others to help me to make changes to meet the needs of my learner. However, in order to be a high reflective practitioner, I need to be focussing on level 4 and  5 as well.
In order to enhance my critical reflective practice, I need to move away from merely relying on assumptions and past experience to actually reading literature. As Brookfield (1995) suggests that teachers improve their reflective skills when they see their practice through four critical, interconnected lenses: their own, the views of their students and colleagues and what can be learned from the wider educational literature. These lenses may reflect back different pictures of who you are as a practitioner and the impact of your work. Also aligning my teaching practice with the academic theories will result in better outcomes.
According to Fook, White and Gardner (cited in Finlay, 2008, p.6), critical reflection should be done in a systematic manner, be challenged by differing angles, and be informed by reliable sources.
 Also I need to document my reflections in the form of blogging and share with others to create networks and professional communities of practice and receive helpful feedback from others.

References:
Brookfield, S. (1995) Becoming a Critically Reflective Teacher. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

Larrivee, B. (2000) Transforming teaching practice: becoming the critically reflective teacher, Reflective Practice, 1(3), 293-307.

Jay, J.K. and Johnson, K.L. (2002). Capturing complexity: a typology of reflective practice for teacher education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 18, 73-85.

Finlay, L. (2009). Reflecting on reflective practice. Practice-based Professional Learning Centre, Open University. Retrieved from http://www.open.ac.uk/opencetl/sites/www.open.ac.uk.opencetl/files/files/ecms/web-content/Finlay-(2008)-Reflecting-on-reflective-practice-PBPL-paper-52.pdf


5 comments:

  1. Gurpreet you are a very reflective practitioner and this shows in your blog what I really liked about your blog is your willingness to embrace the Five Levels of Reflection. Zeichner and Liston’s Five Levels of Reflection (cited in Finlay, 2008, p.4): Adding all 5 steps into your reflective practice will enhance your experience as a teacher. I can really see the relevance of using these steps as often we are the sole leaders of our classrooms. The opportunity to really reflect deeply on something that has troubled us in the classroom really shows how we could grow and develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you had never used a particular framework to help guide your reflection, the tools you are currently using are quite effective for improving practice. Videoing your practice on a particular aspect, and also making it an every day activity for your children to engage in a process with questions about their learning; shows the range of opportunities for reflections that take place continually.

    It’s amazing that you follow up with an action plan and not just labour over past actions. I’ll try my best to critique your future reflections in terms of it, reaching Level 4 and up, according to Zeichner and Liston’s Five Levels of Reflection (cited in Finlay, 2008, p.4).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fact that you were aware of the importance of reflections and have been practising it for a long time, that is a sign of an effective practitioner. Engaging with your colleagues about your planning and seeking support for improvement is great for growth. What I love is giving children opportunities to reflect on how their day went by using a framework to guide them with their responses. Allowing children to reflect on how their day went provides feedback and ideas to inform our planning for the next day. Great work Gurpreet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great reflection Gurpreet. It is encouraging to read that you are a reflective practitioner by doing other things which I don't do like video recording your lessons as mentioned in your post. This has helped me to realise that I don't reflect as often as I should do on my own practise and this is something I need to do more regularly. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right Gurpreet, I was in the same boat in regards to using frame works to guide my reflections in the past so using frame work is a new learning for me. The good thing is we do reflect to improve our teaching practice.Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete